New Chelsea Porcelain Co. Ltd
Manufacturer of bone china at the Stanley Works, and subsequently at Bagnall St (Chelson
The New Chelsea business was established by brothers R. H. & S. L. Plant in about
1900 and traded as Plant Bros until about 1912 when the ‘New Chelsea’ name was adopted.
The company continued to be controlled by the Plant family and during the Second
World War it was concentrated with the parent firm at the Tuscan Works of R. H. &
S. L. Plant Ltd. Post-1945 the New Chelsea business was re-established and modernised,
but in September 1951 the business and trade names were sold to Susie Cooper Pottery
Ltd and the new business then operated under the name New Chelsea China Co. Ltd.
New Chelsea Porcelain Co. Ltd produced good quality, moderately priced bone china
teaware and coffee ware. In the 1920s the company produced some striking teaware
decorated with colourful on-glaze enamelling. Trade names include Chelson China and
The trade name Royal Chelsea was used from c.1943 especially on teaware for the North
American market. Marks do not include the company name, but have the script ‘Chelsea’,
‘New Chelsea’ or ‘Royal Chelsea’ trade name below an anchor.
© Mike Perry 2010