An earthenware manufacturer at Lower Dicker, Hailsham, Sussex. The Dicker Pottery
was established by Uriah Clark in 1843 on the site of an earlier Pottery dating from
the mid-18th century. Clark ran the Pottery until his death in 1904 when his partner
and nephew Abel Clark leased the Pottery from Clark’s widow.
In 1912 the Dicker Pottery merged with the neighbouring Boship Green Pottery owned
by William Bridges and the business became known as Uriah Clark and Nephew Limited.
The Pottery flourished, but Bridges died in 1916 and the impact of the First World
War caused the near failure of the business. Following the end of the war the Pottery
came under the management of Sydney Harte and during the 1920s and 1930s it producing
notable art ware sold mainly to the tourist trade.
The business closed during the Second World War and the buildings were used by the
Ministry of Defense. The Pottery was rebuilt and re-opened after the war, however,
it was quickly taken over by a local Lewes ironmongery business, Wightman & Parish.
Potters Keith and Fiona Richardson were employed to run the business under the name
Dicker Potteries Ltd, but despite their best efforts, the Pottery never gained its
former prominence and the business closed in 1956.
Dicker art wares are varied, depending on the period. The early ‘Dicker Ware’ was
traditional Sussex country pottery with traditional slip-trailed or scraffito decoration
produced by William Bridges at the Boship Green Pottery and, following the union
of the two Potteries, by Uriah Clarke and Nephew at the Dicker Pottery itself. Bridges
death in 1916 and the wartime disruption brought this period to an end.
In the period between the First and Second World Wars Sydney Harte experimented with
glaze effects and although the Dicker shapes remained mainly traditional, there are
interesting wares with orange, blue and turquoise matt glazes. Best known, however
are the Dicker ware from the 1920s onward decorated with a black lustrous glaze prepared
with manganese and copper sulphate.
Most of the Dicker wares have a deeply impressed ‘Dicker Ware, Sussex’ mark.
Bartlett, J. A. (1993). British Ceramic Art 1870-1940. Schiffer Publishing Ltd, Atglen,